Thursday, July 3, 2008

Oh, Abby!

Meet Abby... my artistic, dramatic, fun-loving one. A couple weeks ago she was sucking on a silver ring. She quickly came upstairs, interrupted my phone call to tell me that she had accidentally swallowed it. She was so worried about what would happen to her, how would it come out, etc. She wasn't choking, and it wasn't stuck, so we just had to wait for nature to take it's course and lead the way out... so we waited. I assume it came out. We quickly tired of checking. :)
Now last Thursday, I offered what I thought would be a nice snack of popcorn. I went to take my shower while they ate and watched Andy Griffith. I was covered in soap and shampoo when I heard screaming and yelling! Emily came in the bathroom to tell me that Abby put popcorn kernels in her nostrils. She thought that would be funny! Well, she was able to get one out but the other was bumped far up in her nose and made her nose bleed. Blood was gushing and dripping out all over the floor as she too joined us in the bathroom. She kept moaning saying, "I just can't take this... I'm so scared. I just can't take this!" Meanwhile, Ryan is now awake, crying in his crib, disturbed by the commotion. Of course, Abby doesn't like to blow her nose, so I didn't even think to ask her to blow... I quickly rinsed off, got out of the shower, and called the doctor. The nurse said that the kernel would not dissolve and yes, we should come in. We rushed around, getting dressed, packing the diaper bag, and were off to the doctor in a half hours time. The doctor had a hard time seeing the kernel at first, it was so high up there. But after encouraging her to blow... blow... blow... Out it popped! Like giving birth to a baby, Abby birthed the lone kernel out of her nose. Maybe we've learned a lesson here somewhere...

No comments: